The IBS Young Scientist Fellowship (YSF) is awarding fellowship grants to scientists from all over the world for challenging and high-risk basic research within the special nature of designated Research Centres. The goal of the fellowship is to advance the frontiers of knowledge and to train the leading scientists of tomorrow.
Application Deadline: 30th June 2021
Offered annually? Yes
To be taken at (country): South Korea
Eligible Field of Study: Basic sciences
About the Award: With the vision of “Making Discoveries for Humanity and Society,” the Institute for Basic Science (IBS) was founded in 2011 by the Korean government to promote basic sciences in Korea. Twenty-six IBS Research Centers have been launched and each Center is operated by internationally renowned scientists.
iN 2016, the IBS introduced a new program called “Young Scientist Fellowship (YSF)” to play an active role in fostering next-generation basic science leaders. The YSF offers opportunities for young, promising scientists to do their own basic research work in one of the IBS Research Centers while sharing ideas and utilizing our state-of-art infrastructures.
Offered Since: 2016
Type: Postgraduate, Fellowship
- Within seven years of obtaining a Ph.D. (obtained no earlier than 1 January 2014) or under the age of 40 with a Ph.D. (born no earlier than 1 January 1981)
※ Ph.D. candidates must be conferred with a Ph.D. degree no later than 31 August 2021.
- Current IBS researchers are eligible to apply, if they meet the above criteria.
- First phase: Letter of intent (approx. three pages) acceptance and evaluation
- 1. Submission deadline: by 30 June 2021
- 2. Review of each letter of intent by the director and the selection and evaluation panel concerned
- 3. Invitation to submit full research proposals: by Late July 2021
※ Applicants who passed the 1st phase will be requested to submit an approx. 10-page full research proposal, up to three reference letters and presentation materials.
- Second phase: Full research proposal acceptance and in-depth evaluation
- 1. Submission deadline: by Late August 2021
- 2. Review of each full proposal and reference letter by the director concerned
- 3. Interview (on-site presentation) by the selection and evaluation panel concerned: by Late September 2021
※ If candidates reside abroad or have difficulty attending on site, the evaluation will be held via video conference.
- Third phase: Comprehensive evaluation and notification of the results
- 1. Comprehensive evaluation by panel chairs
- 2. Final selection and notification of the results: by Late October 2021
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Fellowship:
- Annual budget of KRW150-300M per year including KRW60-70M salary
- Appointment for 3 years with possible extension of 2 years
- YS Fellows should be physically relocated to one of the IBS Centers.
Duration of Fellowship: YSF fellows will be appointed for 3 years with possible extension of 2 years
How to Apply: Apply via the IBS website at http://www.ibs.re.kr/ysf/apply by 30 June 2021 (KST).