The University of the Witwatersrand’s School of Public Health invites suitably qualified candidates to apply for a full-time funded Master Degree Programme in the field of Implementation Science. The scholarship is provided by TDR, the UNICEF/UNDP/World Bank/WHO Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases – hosted at the World Health Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Masters in Epidemiology Degree Programme: 31st July 2021
- TDR scholarship: 31st July 2021
About the Award: The goal of the scheme is to enhance graduate training capacity in implementation research and boost the number of researchers in low- and middle-income countries. The focus is on implementation research on infectious diseases of poverty, including the neglected tropical diseases, malaria, tuberculosis, HIV/TB co-infection and COVID-19. The training isfocused on courses relevant to a career in implementation science. Implementation science is a growing field that supports the identification of health system bottlenecks and approaches to address them, and is particularly useful in low- and middle-income countries where many health interventions do not reach those who need them the most. Further information on implementation research is available at: https://tdr.who.int/home/ourwork/strengthening-research-capacity/implementation-research-training-materials and on neglected tropical diseases at https://www.who.int/teams/control-of-neglected-tropical-diseases.
Eligible Field(s): MSc Epidemiology in the field of Implementation Science (18 months full-time).
Eligibility: Applicants should:
- Be resident in and a national of a low- or middle-income country1 in the WHO African Region
- Be under the age of 35.
- Be interested in developing a career in implementation research on infectious diseases of poverty.
- Be proficient in English.
- Meet the Programme’s requirements: http://www.wits.ac.za/publichealth/academicprogrammes/postgraduate/master-of-science-in-epidemiology/.
TDR is committed to Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity in science. Applicants are encouraged to apply irrespective of gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religious, cultural and social backgrounds, or (dis)ability status.
Eligible Countries: Developing countries
To be Taken at (Country): Wits University, South Africa
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The scheme will provide full scholarships for Masters in the 2022 academic year and covers the
• Return economy airfare between the candidate’s home country and Johannesburg, South Africa
• Tuition fees
• Basic medical and accident insurance
• Monthly stipend to cover living expenses, including accommodation
• Support for research project expenses
Further, recipients’ careers will be tracked with the new TDR Global alumni and stakeholder platform that will monitor the impact of the programme, as well as provide opportunities for networking and increased visibility opportunities for the Fellows.
Duration of Award: 18 months full-time
How to Apply: The application process is two-fold and each MUST be completed separately
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.